Wednesday 20 March 2013

The Child and a Half

My son has autism. This is the child and a half.
I don't suppose he'll ever read this (though actually he can read quite well, he's just not going to be interested), so I don't mind revealing it now.
The wonderful thing is his innocence. He is naive. No, he is...straight-forward. Mostly. He delivers some of his lines with perfect sincerity, oblivious to how they come across.

I asked him the other day if he'd had a good day at school.

"Nearly", he said. I love this boy. "Ask me that question again later", he added.

So after dinner, he pipes up "Dad, you know that question you were going to ask me earlier? Ask me it now".

"Did you have a good day?"

"Nearly. My teacher took a note of a recipe I was telling her and she said that we might do it. Then, later, we had a vote and the other boys voted for something else".

This was nearly a good day. In heaven, this boy is going to get all his recipes made. I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment