Saturday 10 November 2012

Why worry?

I've set myself the task of reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church in a year.
But I have help from here. I'm sent a small portion to read every day. Sometimes two emails are sitting in my inbox and I realise I really have to do something right now. Otherwise it'll get out of hand. It is working though. Every time I read a section (5 mins or so) I find something I didn't know. And it's fascinating. Often, I'm not just learning, I'm inspired by a particular point.

This happened this evening. Something that gave me a shot of Hope. Section 208 of the Catechism reads:

Before the divine signs wrought by Jesus, Peter exclaims: "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord." But because God is holy, he can forgive the man who realizes that he is a sinner before him: "I will not execute my fierce anger... for I am God and not man, the Holy One in your midst." The apostle John says likewise: "We shall... reassure our hearts before him whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything."

It's this last part that really struck me. My heart is often troubled by asking myself 'am I really doing the right thing here?' It is good to ask that question when one is confronted by a serious matter (the Church outlines what these are). But when one is bogged down by asking the question continually and it is wearing you down and robbing you of peace, then this quote really consoles:

"We shall... reassure our hearts before him whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything."

The key is sincerity. If I sincerely want to love and make manageable and serious commitments to do it, then forget worries. They're not from God.
He is my Friend, so I won't keep my distance from Him. Naturally, I'll talk to Him every day. This shows my Friend I believe He exists, I believe and hope in His Power - that Love Itself is Who I am conversing with. I want us to know each other.


"You are my friends, if you do the things that I command you."  John 15:14

Do we worry about doing the right thing? God knows what is in our hearts. Why worry if this is one friend who cannot misunderstand us and our intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment